Sunday 10 November 2013

Mark commends Mimiko, berates Boroffice at Osemawe’s anniversary



Senate President, David Mark

Senate President David Mark on Saturday commended the achievements of Ondo State Governor Olusegun Mimiko, saying the governor’s successor would need to work hard to match up.

Mark, who was in Ondo during the seventh coronation anniversary of the Osemawe of Ondo, Oba Victor Kiladejo, spoke after he was conducted round the Ondo Medical Complex where the Mother and Child Hospital, Gani Fawehinmi Diagnostic Centre, the Trauma Centre and the Kidney Care Centre were located.

He berated the Senator representing Ondo North, Ajayi Borofice, for absenting himself from the coronation anniversary.

He said, “When I came down from the aircraft, I expected to see my three bosses. You know as a Senate President I have 108 (senators) bosses. I was looking forward to see the three from this state but I saw only two, (Senators) Boluwaji Kunlere and Ayo Akintelure.

“This is not a matter of political party. I do not belong to the same political party with your governor, Iroko (Mimiko) and here I am commending him for good things he had done based on what I saw on ground when I visited the medical complex.

“The third senator that is not here today would have to explain to me why he is not here because this is not a matter of political party. A member of my party is doing something today but I have to be here as well because of the respect I have for the Oba and the people of Ondo. It is not about political party but about the people.”

Mimiko is of the same Labour Party as Kunlere, representing Ondo South; and Akintelure, the senator representing Ondo Central.

Borofice was elected into the senate on the platform of the LP but defected to the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria in 2011 to pursue his 2012 governorship ambition. He however lost the ACN ticket to a former President of the Nigeria Bar Association, Rotimi Akerele, who in turn lost the election to Mimiko.

He said, “I was at the hospital built by the governor today and one thing that I observed is that the common smell that is characteristic of hospitals is not there. When I was walking round the hospital there was no odour. I find it difficult to call it a medical village; I thought we’ve been going round some hotel accommodation or five-star hotel accommodation.

“Other people should come here and see how much the governor and his team have put together to change the healthcare system in this state and by extension in the country. Whoever succeeds you must build on the solid foundation you have laid.”

The Senate President appreciated Oba Kiladejo for the transformation recorded during his reign and appealed to the people of Ondo to work in unity and support the monarch for a progressive and peaceful community.

Mimiko also commended Mark for his leadership traits and humility, which the governor said had brought stability to the nation’s polity.

No comments:

Post a Comment